The SWENext High School Leadership Academy (SHLA) is a leadership program that provides high school students with networking opportunities, leadership skills, advice on STEM career paths and the opportunity to have first-hand experience at a conference with over 13,000 women engineers. SHLA is a two-day program that takes place as part of the WE Annual Conference.
To become familiar with engineering pathways and develop a STEM identity, it is critical that STEM-interested high school girls have access to women in the engineering workforce. SWE’s resources and network of female engineers provide SHLA students with access to mentors at many levels, exposure to a variety of engineering companies through the WE Career Fair and opportunities for STEM community involvement through SWENext.
Live Program: SHLA will take place on November 6th in New Orleans, Louisiana during the SWE Annual Conference, WE20.
Pre- and Post-Learning: SHLA participants will have the opportunity to participate in virtual pre- and post-learning events to explore engineering careers and prepare for college.
Why Attend (Program Outcomes):
- Explore a variety of engineering pathways and careers.
- Identify essential leadership skills and ways to expand your leadership abilities using SWE’s Leadership Competency Model.
- Learn and network with peers, SWE members and SWE leaders from across the globe.
- Build self-confidence and resilience to successfully pursue engineering degrees.
- Gain access to valuable resources to begin preparing for a future career in STEM and ongoing leadership development opportunities.
- Gain valuable knowledge about the benefits of your SWENext membership .
- Gain exposure to the SWE Annual Conference with over 13,000 women engineers in attendance, including mentor opportunities and access to the career fair.
SHLA participants who complete the following are awarded a certificate of completion: (1) attend the live event, (2) complete pre- and post-surveys and (3) attend the post-program webinars.
- Career Huddles – Meet Women Engineers
- WE20 Career Fair with Collegiate Mentors
- Lunch with Collegiate Mentors
- Leadership Competency Workshop
Things That Can Help Your Application:
- Being a SWENext Member.
- Preference is given to SWENext Club Officers
- Showing your leadership skills and experience in your application
- Showing your involvement with SWENext or other STEM programs like Project Lead the Way, FIRST, Girl Scouts, etc.
Thank you to our sponsors: